Saturday, June 19, 2010

Life's Blessings

Well sweet baby Cohen passed away yesterday. My heart is broken for his family. A death of a child is probably the HARDEST thing anyone would ever have to deal with in their life. I can't even begin to fathom what the family is feeling. I pray that I never have to.

When I was pregnant with Thompson, at the 20 week ultrasound, they diagnosed him with a 2 vessel cord. Usually the umbilical cord has 3 vessels, each that deliver food and oxygen to the baby. Thompson just had two. This could potentially be a major problem with the growth of the heart and kidneys. And of course I go home and google anything I can about it. (I would definitely not reccommend this, btw!) After scaring myself to death, I called my doctor. She was so sweet and was really positive. She explained everything again and told me to try not to worry. They monitored him monthly by ultrasound. When T was born, they took him away to do ultrasounds to make sure that everything was accordingly and thankfully it was.

When I was pregnant with Brycen, I had quite a few scares. One night when I was 25 weeks, I started to bleed. I went to the Labor and Delivery and they hooked me up, did an exam, and basically told me that they didn't know why I was bleeding. I was scared to death. All of the thoughts that race your mind, all of the worries just seem to consume you. Again, at 28 and 29 weeks I had started bleeding again. Each time I went to the Emergency Room. Each time, I prayed and prayed that he would be fine. Still, to this day, we have no idea why I had those episodes. I am so thankful for my two healthy boys.

Yesterday, I was having a pretty bad day. I had written my blog and not long after, I read the news about baby Cohen. Everything that I was feeling just didn't seem to matter anymore. I went to bed with a heavy heart. I was feeling guilty for acting so selfish. I prayed for peace for the Marshall family. I prayed that through their loss, they will find the joy in the life of baby Cohen. Babies are so special, their little lives touch so many. They change hearts.

So instead of dwelling on all the things that I feel are not going right in my life. I am just going to count my blessings.

One of my favorite Bible verses is Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

We may not understand God's way of doing things. It is not our place. But if we put God first in all that we do, he will provide our path.

Please watch this video. It is one of my FAVORITES!!! The song is amazing and is so real.


Casting Crowns "Praise You in This Storm"
I was sure by now,
God, that You would have reached down
and wiped our tears away,
stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I say amen
and it's still raining
as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away.

Chorus:

And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to You
and raised me up again
my strength is almost gone how can I carry on
if I can't find You
and as the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
and as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise
the God who gives and takes away

Chorus

I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
I lift my eyes onto the hills
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth
Chorus

2 comments:

  1. Lenora,
    You are very lucky and I remember each of those instances with both boys. I love how you call them B & T... wonder why? :) We have both been very fortunate and blessed in so many ways!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have beautiful boys. Great post about counting your blessing but so very sad for baby Cohen's family.

    ReplyDelete