Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Southern Cooking and Diets-- Oxymoron much?

Ok, as you all know I have started my P90X workout and diet. Going great so far, but today is only day 2. Tonight I went to the gym and surprised myself on how long I could stay on the elliptical. It was such a huge difference from the last time I went. Anyways, I have also been cooking really healthy.

But...

I can't get over the meals I made last week from Trisha Yearwood's new cookbook.


I am dying to buy it and make everything in it!

Why is it that everytime I am on a diet all I can think about is the not-so-good-for-me foods?!?!

If there are any healthy eaters out there, does it ever get easier? I know it is a lifestyle change, but how do you change everything that you have ever known??? I grew up with a Granny, a Granny who knows how to cook! It wasn't rare for her to bring a pot of beans, fresh corn, or a chocolate pie by the house. We also ate out A LOT! Since I have been cooking myself for our family, we really eat pretty healthy in my opinion. BUT, I need to learn a few things.

1. Portion control-- Eating a whole pan of cornbread (not that I do! *wink * wink*) or making a cheesecake to eat between Robert and I is not a good thing.

2. Resisting urge-- How do I overcome the urge to go in the kitchen and make something I know is horrible for me?

I know there are probably some of you out there laughing your butt off at this post, but I am very serious. I am addicted to southern cooking! I LOVE me some red velvet cake, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and anything with butter!

Is it possible to lead a lifestyle where I can eat this and still be healthy? Serious. Don't laugh. ;)

I know that you basically need to exercise and burn off what you consume. I know that I DON'T have to make all of these foods all the time. I also know that it should probably be a treat like thing. You know? Sadly, I do know everything I have talked about. I guess I just need to reiterate to myself.

I CAN do this. I HAVE to do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment