Monday, June 29, 2009

Well, he doesn't know anything!

So, today was supposed to be a BIG day! Let me explain...

Dr. Ultrasound, as I will call him, has done an ultrasound with me every time I have previously seen him. So, naturally, I am hoping that we will be having another one since a) he has done them every time b) because he said he was going to do a screening. So, at 7 am, I start counting the hours til 3 pm. Let me tell you, it is a long time! So I get ready, and arrive promptly at my appointment 20 minutes before 3 pm with my husband and son in tote to see the little baby! YAY! Fast forward 20 minutes later...

The nurse takes me back to a room that I normally don't go to. The first thing I notice is there is NO ultrasound machine. WHAT?! I immediately tell her that I should be getting an ultrasound (totally bluffing) to see if she responds. Didn't work. Then I tell her about how I had been looking forward to this for a month, and my husband and son were here, blah, blah, blah-- trying to pull the sap story. Didn't work. BUT alas, she says she would go ahead and ask the doctor. Oh yes! Dr. Ultrasound would surely pull through for me, right. Wrong. They promptly informed me that they would be doing that in the radiation department in a month. Joy. So, she proceeds to take my blood pressure. I did inform her that it would probably be a little elevated since I was a little peeved at the moment. She laughed...I didn't. 139/77...I am normally 100/60. A little peeved? I think so. So Dr. Ultrasound comes in the room and asks how things are and I said "Just fine!" with a forced smile on my face. He tells me that my screening will not consist of an ultrasound but rather a lovely blood test. Cool, not. He then proceeds to find the baby's heartbeat. After a minute or so, I finally hear the most beautiful sound in the world coming in at 160 bpm. Can we say girl?! :)

I then tell him of my massive 48 hour migraine which he then tells me is from allergies. Mind you, I was raised in NW Arkansas, home of every type of living allergy there is. I have suffered from allergies since I was born! I joke that I am allergic to the outside. I know what allergies are. I know what MY allergies are. I know that I have never had a migraine from allergies. But, Dr. Ultrasound assured me that that was the problem. Riiiiiiiiight.

I then proceed to the lab where I have the most nervous looking blood tech guy draw my blood. He made me so nervous that I asked if he was nervous. Of course he told me no. But the boy didn't know what tube to fill and he kept getting his glove caught when tying up my arm. Scary. But low and behold, I didn't feel a thing! Thank goodness. I then proceeded to the radiation department to schedule my ultrasound! The boy then informs me that ALL of July is booked and they would call me in the middle of July to schedule me for August sometime. They don't do 20 week ultrasounds here at the lovely 29 Palms Naval Hospital...they prefer to agonize the mother til 21-24 weeks. What a load of crap!

Robert and I then decided to go 'down the hill' tomorrow to an ultrasound place and have a gender determination done. Now, you are probably thinking that I am the most impatient person in the world, but I do have reasons. I present you:
1. Robert is possibly going to attend Squad Leaders Course down in Pendleton in July and will be gone for 3 months-- only coming home for weekends. I don't, and he doesn't want to miss finding out the gender of the baby.
2. I want to be able to shop when I go back home this week and share the news when someone asks.
3. I am actually impatient :)

So...tomorrow is our new BIG day! Our appt is 2:30 PST (4:30 CST) but I did leave a message to call me if they had anything open earlier in the day! You know me! ;P

1 comment:

  1. It is crushing when you have your hopes set on the ultrasound and then it is ripped out from underneath you like an old rug.... Keep the faith ~ there is more than one way to skin a cat! Let us know what you find out! :)

    ReplyDelete