Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WWW- Dessert Recipe!

Today is Weight Watchers Wednesday! I will not be able to weigh in til tomorrow, so that will have to be a separate post.

Today, I am sharing an awesome dessert recipe! I saw this on Paula Deen's website earlier this week. Most of the time, PD isn't known for her "low-fat" or "healthy" recipes, but her sons took one of her recipes and made it a lighter version. I made this last night for all the family and received really good reviews. I LOVED it. But I am a dessert person, so anything sweet is right up my alley!



Lighter Strawberry Shortcake

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups reduced-fat buttermilk baking mix
2/3 cup low-fat (1%) milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon sliced almonds
4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
3/4 cup frozen light non-dairy whipped topping, thawed

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of the pan with wax paper. Spray the wax paper with nonstick spray.

Combine the baking mix, milk, 5 tablespoons of the sugar, and butter in a medium bowl just until blended. Scrape the batter into the pan. Scatter the almonds over top and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan. Carefully peel off and discard the wax paper. Cool the cake completely on the rack. 

Toss the strawberries, orange zest, juice, and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl. Let stand until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is syrupy, about 10 minutes. 

Split the cooled cake in half horizontally. Place the bottom layer onto a cake plate; spoon the strawberry mixture over top. Spoon the whipped topping over the strawberries. Place the remaining cake layer on top. Serve immediately. 

I did mine a little differently. I didn't know if we could eat the whole cake, so I just cut it into wedges and served it with the strawberries and cool whip on top. It was good, but her way would be great because it would allow all of the juices from the strawberries to soak in the cake. I also couldn't find low-fat baking mix, so I just used regular bisquick. We also cut ours into 16 servings. My calculated Points Plus serving is 3 points per serving. 
Here are her nutritional values for 1/8 of the cake with strawberries and toppings:
Per Serving: (1/8th of cake) 159 Cal; 3 g Protein; 7 g Tot Fat; 4 g Sat Fat; 2 g Mono Fat; 21 g Carb; 2 g Fiber; 5 g Sugar; 54 mg Calcium; 1 mg Iron; 353 mg Sodium; 12 mg Cholesterol

I am guessing ours would be around 100 calories for our portion.

This was so simple to make. Seriously! I hope you enjoy it, I know I am going to enjoy another leftover piece today! :)
 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment