Friday, July 16, 2010

Why do I blog???

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Mainly, because my husband has yet to understand what blogging is and what it means to me. So I thought I might share with you why exactly I do blog.

First off, there are many reasons why I do. It is a tie between 1) having some place that my family and friends can go and see pictures of the boys and find out what we have been up to and 2) to have a scrapbook/diary of where I was at at a point in my life.

I LOVE when I hear my dad tell me that he got online and looked at my blog! Coming from someone who I didn't even know if he knew how to turn on a computer... he knows how to find his grandbabies!

I also love that I can look back at and see posts about my sister getting married, or the day Brycen was born, or the whole fiasco with moving. If you haven't noticed, I am pretty forward in my blog. It's not that I have something to prove or I am trying to be funny, it's just that I am trying to be honest, mainly with myself. If I am having a crappy day, chances are I will write about it. If Thompson is pushing me to the limit of committing myself to the looney bin, I will probably write about it. I do not use this blog to create some happy-go-lucky person that has zero problems. I am human. I have feelings. I question my husband's thought process sometimes. My toddler can sometimes make me feel like a one-headed zombie. The military stresses me out.

When I was answering Robert's question, I simply said "I do it for me." It is my down time, my way of unwinding. I know that not everyone that reads my blog agrees with every single thought of mine. And that is fine! Here lately, my biggest personal feat is realizing that I am not always right. I have some serious pride and for me to admit when I am wrong is hard. But I am trying. I just want to be true to myself no matter what. If you take anything from my blog, I hope you take that.

As in the words of the famous Dr. Seuss- "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

And for the matter of why I love to read blogs...

Blogs to me are like mini novellas of someone's life. I love to read little pieces of someone's journey that make up who they are in life. It is so weird to read someone's blog and think, "Oh my gosh! We could so be best friends!" I hear about a lot of women who connect with others through a blog and create great friendships. How awesome is that?! You know how you meet someone and you have to do the whole "what type of person are they? what do they like?" process. Well, most of the time if you read a person's blog you can already figure out a general perception of who they are as a person.

But sometimes I feel stalkerish. Ha!! I find it weird that I know certain bloggees favorite drinks, favorite restaurants, where they love to shop, who they hang out with. I recently saw a blogger while I was back home at a restaurant and had that moment of where I asked myself if I go up to them and say hey! or do I just walk on. I walked on. I later wrote her and told her that I had seen her and she asked why I didn't come say hi. I told her that I didn't want her to think I was a creepy, stalker person! haha!! I told her that if I saw her again that I would.

Blogging is a huge community, but once you get down to it, it is very small. It seems like everyone connects in certain ways. It is kind of like my little self-help forum. And it's cheaper than therapy! ;)

So here's the question... Why do you blog? Even if you don't have a blog, but like to read them, I would love to know!

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear friend...why do I blog? A lot of the same reasons you do. :) I will admit the biggest reason is therapy!! When I was younger I kept a journal; that I pray is in my house somewhere & NOT in the hands of a tabloid ;) For some reason I stopped writting, but after I lost Robert I needed to get things out. Things I would never tell anyone (ironic since EVERYONE can read it).

    I also love reading blogs. I have my favs & there are a few blogger friends that know me as well as my BFF's I've had for over 30 yrs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like blogs are a way to express myself and also to find people who have the same interests as me. I really began to blog when I became a military spouse, and it has definitely helped to have that extra support network out there :)

    I just started following your blog recently and I love it! I wanted to give you this award as well - http://standingbyhim.blogspot.com/2010/07/my-first-award_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog today and a newbie to my blog. The reason why I have started up mine is the same as you. Been away from Camp Pendleton for 3 months and currently living in a Non Military town. Not being around a Military Community has been a little tougher then I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably could've written this post myself! Since becoming a stay at home mom last year blogging has given me the opportunity to network with some truly fabulous women and moms. I've gained new friends, that I'm almost positive that if we lived in the same town, we'd be friends! I have also learned a great deal from the insights of others! And though I do hope that one day my daughter GG will look back on all the documentation of her life on the blog, I do it for me! Glad you were able to stop by. So glad I have "met" another friend in the bloggy world!

    ReplyDelete