Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Weight Watchers Wednesday!

As most of you know, I started Weight Watchers this past Saturday. Since I will be going back to AR on Thursday, I decided I should go ahead and weigh in today and try to get in the routine of a Tuesday night weigh in.

First off, I can tell WW is working. I have done so much research and studying the new points plus system and realized that they have put a lot of work into the new program. It just makes sense. (Does that make sense???)

If you are not familiar with WW, the program is based on a set of points. You are allowed so many points per day (based on height, weight, and age) and the foods you eat have their own points. (They go off of fat grams, carbohydrates, protein, and dietary fiber.) The idea is not exceed your points for the day, but each week you are allotted 49 extra points to use whenever. You definitely don't have to use your extra points, either. Just there if you need to! :)

I am enjoying this. I love keeping my food journal because it keeps me accountable for everything that goes into my mouth. The only part that I really need to work on is to exercise at least 30 minutes a day minimum.

So onto the weigh in...

Since Saturday, I have lost 2.2 lbs! Very excited. I weighed in at the morning time for my initial weigh in, and then did my weigh today in the evening. I was nervous wondering if it would even show a loss. (Because we all know that we all are a few pounds heavier by the end of the day! ;) ) So I feel like I am off to a good start. I have really kicked up my water intake too, which I feel always helps.

So my next weigh in will be next Tuesday night.

So, I thought it would be neat to share a recipe that I made during the week. I have been taking advantage of the Recipe Builder that WW online has. You input all of the ingredients and then the servings and it tells you how many points per serving the meal is.

I made Shepherd's Pie using ground turkey. It turned out really good! I had actually planned on eating it tonight for dinner and went to go warm it up and apparently Robert thought he would take the entire pan with him to work! Oh, I was so mad! ;)

Shepherd's Pie
Serves6
8 Points Plus per serving

1.25 lbs Ground Turkey (93% lean)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen carrots
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 can low sodium beef broth
2 tbsp flour
2 bay leaves
 2 large potatoes
1/2 cup skim milk
1 wedge of laughing cow light cheese
2 tbsp light butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Brown turkey meat until done then drain out the excess grease. Add onions and continue to cook. Sprinkle flour over mixture and saute for about a minute. Add beef broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer. Add carrots and corn, then salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let simmer for atleast 30 minutes or until sauce is reduced and thickened. While the meat mixture is cooking, you can start your potatoes. Peel potatoes and dice into chunk size pieces. (It is important not to put potatoes into boiling water, but to add them to cool water and turn on the heat once the potatoes are in to ensure the potatoes cook evenly.) Cook potatoes until tender. Mix in butter, milk, and cheese and whip with a mixer until creamy. (You can use 2 tbsp fat free sour cream in place of laughing cow if you prefer.) Once meat mixture is thickened. Put into a baking dish (Be sure to remove bay leaves). Sprinkle the frozen peas on top. Smooth mashed potatoes on top. Then top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy!

*All I had on hand was full fat cheddar cheese. If you use fat free cheese, you can reduce the points value to 7 per serving!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment