Thursday, March 17, 2011

Foods I am loving!

Since I have been dieting (eh, changing my lifestyle), I have also hade to make some changes in the food department. Surprisingly, I am loving it all and don't miss anything too bad.

What I have done is I have thought about some of my favorite foods and found different ways to make them healthier.

One of my favorite swaps has been from the Hungry Girl. I signed up for their emails awhile back and they have some pretty good tips. As most everyone is aware, it has been Girl Scout cookie time. My personal faves are the Samoas! Well, low and behold there is a fiber (YES, fiber!) bar swap that tastes just like it. Not even kidding. Kellogg's makes a Caramel Coconut Fudge Fiber bar that tastes so so soooo good and also has 35% of your daily fiber. Awesome, huh?!


One of my staples for breakfast is oatmeal. I am kinda addicted. And this is coming from a girl who would never touch oatmeal... ever! But, thanks to Oprah, I found out a great way to make it and it tastes so good. I love the apples and cinnamon flavor. But, I can never just mix it with water and when I did all milk, it just wasn't right. So, they suggested putting half milk, half apple juice. I gives it more of an apple flavor and I just love it. Plus, it helps fill me up too!

For lunch, I have been eating these new things called Bagel Thins (Brittany introduced me to!) and Sandwhich Thins. I lightly toast them, then put a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on it along with some turkey or chicken that has been warmed up. It is such a good sandwhich.



I have found a new favorite option at Chick-fil-A-- the Southwest Chargrilled Chicken Salad. Yummy! And it only has 240 calories. I used half a packet of the Spicy dressing, so my whole salad was under 400 calories. Add a half sweet/half unsweet tea and you have yourself a perfect little meal!




For dinner, we have been cooking quite a bit of chicken breasts. We all love chicken, so it works for us. But, we also like ground turkey options too. I made a turkey breast roast in the crockpot the other day that was so good! It shredded like a beef pot roast, but definitely healthier. I put it along with some carrots, onions, and a potato in the crockpot then mixed up a french onion soup mix with water and poured over it. Talk about flavor!

Another ground turkey that is really good is to make meatloaf. I know some of you will be skeptical, but trust me. I buy the Ground Turkey, not the ground turkey breast. There isn't enough fat (or flavor) to work with. It 93/7 fat and a perfect ground beef alternative. Use this recipe for your meatloaf:

1 pkg ground turkey
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 egg
1 cup quick cook oats
1 can tomato sauce
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to season

Mix gently with a fork, put into pan, bake at 350 about 30-40 minutes. Take out, add ketchup to the top, bake for another 15 minutes. Your meatloaf should be about 160 degrees internal temperature. I serve mine with some green beans and mashed potatoes.

As you can see, I still eat normal foods. If it isn't such a healthy food, I cut back on my portion. It really is all about portion control. Hope you all like some of the options I have mentioned today.

Edited to Add my favorite dessert! How could I forget dessert?!

Anyways, these Fudgesicles are amazing! They are only 40 calories too! So... if I have the extra calories and am wanting another one, I don't feel so guilty. ;)




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment